to access the search functionality
Can't find what you are looking for?
advanced program search
Inspiring Australia – Science Engagement Programme: Sponsorship Grants for Student Science Engagement and International Competitions
Overview / Purpose
This programme aims to support young Australians to develop skills and potential career opportunities in a field of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The minimum grant amount available is $1,000. The maximum grant amount is $5,000 per student, and a maximum of $20,000 per application. For grants over $10,000, must at least match grant funds received with cash and/or in-kind contributions towards the total cost of attending a relevant event.
The Australian government will provide funding of:
- $4 million over four years ($1 million each year) from 2016-17 to 2019-20 for student participation in STEM engagement activities and events that take place in Australia or overseas.
- $2.4 million over four years ($600,000 each year) from 2016-17 to 2019-20 for student participation in international STEM competitions taking place outside Australia.
Who Can Apply
Eligible applicants must have an Australian Business Number (ABN) and be one of the following:
- Primary or secondary school, registered with a State or Territory authority
- Incorporated not for profit organisation
- Entity incorporated in Australia
A sponsor organisation must apply on behalf of a student or group of students. The sponsor organisation must also:
- Be applying on behalf of a student or group of students under the age of 18 (at the time of application), to attend a specific STEM event or activity that meets the requirements under the Programme Guidelines.
- Have not already received in the same financial year either Science Engagement or International Competitions funding under the Programme Guidelines for the same students/s or event.
- Provide confirmation from their managing Board, school principal or Chief Executive Officer (or equivalent) that:
a) The student/s attendance at the STEM event or activity is supported.
b) The applicant has the capacity to meet any costs of student’s participation at the STEM event or activity not covered by grant funding.
c) The student/s attendance at the event or activity is reasonably expected to proceed if the grant is provided.
Joint applications are acceptable, provided they have a lead applicant who is eligible and is responsible for the students’ attendance at the event.
Eligible project must involve:
- The participation of a student or a group of students under the age of 18 at an eligible event.
- A minimum of $1,000 in eligible expenditure.
Eligible events must:
- Be related to the pursuit of a field of STEM and one that promotes student engagement in STEM-related disciplines, or participation in STEM-based competitions both in Australia and overseas.
- Take place within one year of the application being submitted.
Please review the Guidelines for the list of examples of eligible events and expenditures.
The following are ineligible for funding:
- State/Territory or local government agency or body.
- Any of the nominated students has received a grant under either Science Engagement or International Competitions in the same financial year, including through a different sponsor organisation.
- The sponsor organisation or a nominated student that has received support from other sources of Australian government funding to attend the event.
- Business as usual activities.
- Salaries for the sponsor organisation or chaperon.
- Administration costs incurred by the sponsor organisation or chaperon.
- Cost of applying for the grant.
- Costs incurred prior to project approval.
Program ID: 18703
This programme is open on an ongoing basis.
Min: $1,000 - Max: $20,000
Department of Industry, Innovation and Science (DIIS)
Telephone: 132 846
to access the search functionality
Not the results you wanted? Try again:
© GrantReady 2017 .
Report an error